There are few things in life as satisfying as an easy dinner with tons of flavor and very little hands-on time. As life has gotten busier, my meals resemble tons of ingredients thrown into a bowl with sauce drizzled on top. While it is delicious, sometimes my body craves something with a tad more prep work behind the finished dish. I don’t know about you but chopping vegetables is a form of mediation for me.
This Slow-Roasted Chicken with Bacon and Tomatoes is packed full of flavor. All it takes is one dish from start to finish. The chicken becomes fall off the tender while the smoky bacon flavors the sweets tomatoes and creates a sauce that is incredibly delicious!
I made this recipe in my cast iron skillet and I suggest you do the same. It caramelizes the meat better than any other pan I’ve tried. Also, there is nothing quite like browning chicken in bacon fat – can I get an amen? Once you throw the tomatoes and crumbled bacon into the skillet, you nestle the chicken legs on top. Then after a drizzle of olive oil, you pop the whole thing in the oven. 1 hour and 30 minutes later, it’s done!
I understand if the cooking time is too long for a weekday. However, it’s the only way to get the meat as tender as it is. So you can save this Slow-Roasted Chicken with Bacon and Tomatoes for Sunday dinner with the whole family if you can wait that long. Enjoy!
Slow-Roasted Chicken with Tomatoes and Bacon
Yield 4 servings
This easy one dish meal is packed full of flavor! The chicken becomes fall off the bone tender while the tomatoes cooked down into a delicious sauce.
- 1/2 pound grass-fed bacon
- 1 pound free-range chicken legs or chicken thighs
- 1 bunch of basil, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 pint cherry red tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon red chili flakes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degree's F.
- In a cast iron skillet over medium heat, cook bacon until crispy about five minutes. Set aside to cool, then crumble into bite sized pieces.
- Season your chicken with salt and pepper. Nestle into the same pan in one even layer, skin side up. Add in basil, garlic and tomatoes. Mix around a bit, pushing the tomatoes underneath. Sprinkle with red chili flakes and bacon. Drizzle olive oil over top.
- Place in the oven for 1 1/2 hours, turning any of the exposed tomatoes halfway through, until the chicken is crisp and fall off the bone tender. Serve.