I’m exhausted – the kind of bone deep tired that only happens when you’re on the cusp of change or in the thick of it. My eight or nine hours of sleep does not cut it as of late and no amounts of coffee can help. I’ve been trying to be kind to myself, which means lots of nourishing foods. Who cares it summers? Give me all the soup and hot tea.
The thing is though I don’t want to slave over a bubbling stockpot and I’m guessing neither do you. Enter the slow cooker. I’ll be honest I only pull it out on the rare occasion, but whenever I do I always make a vow to use it more often.
This Slow Cooker Turmeric Chicken Chili is spicy and rich with flavor. Broiling the poblano pepper and onion adds a dose of smokiness to the finished soup that is incredibly delicious. Once you add the ingredients into the slow cooker, you turn it onto high for 4 hours, until the chicken is fall apart tender. Then at the end, you toss in the turmeric powder to get those anti-inflammatory benefits.
I ate this Turmeric Chicken Chili for a week straight and never got sick of it – that says something. Enjoy!
Slow-Cooker Turmeric Chicken Chili
Yield 6 servings
This soul nourishing Slow-Cooker Turmeric Chicken Chili recipe is great for busy weeknights! Throw all ingredients into the slow cooker then set it and forget it.
- 1 poblano pepper, sliced in half
- ½ white onion, sliced
- 1 lb. bone in chicken thighs
- 1 14 oz can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 quart free-range chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoons nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- Place poblano pepper and white onion on a baking sheet. Broil on high for 5 minutes, until the vegetables are blackened in spots. Set aside to cool, then dice the pepper and onion.
- Set the chicken thighs and cannellini beans in the slow cooker. Pour the chicken stock and the water over top. Stir in the nutritional yeast, cumin and oregano. Add in the onion and poblano pepper.
- Cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 8 hours.
- Once done, remove the chicken thighs from the soup and shred the meat with a fork. Discord the bones and add the meat back into the stock. Stir in turmeric and add in salt to your liking.