I’m all about ease and simplicity in the kitchen. I hate long complicated recipes with a million steps, especially when I need to eat now! My case of the hungries is real people, and it isn’t a pretty sight. To prevent my inner bitch from surfacing, I keep one or two sauces in the fridge, plus a condiment like pickled red onions. By the way, isn’t condiment the worst word ever?
Anyways, these two things elevate my dinner game to new flavor heights.
Pickled Red Onions is super easy and can keep in the fridge for about a week. All you have to do is par-blanch the onions and then stick them in a glass container with mild vinegar and a few flavorings. For this recipe, I chose fennel seeds, garlic and thyme.
You can let the Pickled Red Onions mingle for 30 minutes up to a few hours in the fridge. Over time, they turn a bright fabulous shade of pink and the flavors get more pronounced. Sprinkle them on pizza, a big green salad and or really anything! Enjoy.
Pickled Red Onions
- 1 medium red onion, sliced
- 5 black peppercorns
- 5 allspice berries
- 3/4 cup rice vinegar
- In the container you will be using to store the onions, add the rice vinegar, allspice berries, and peppercorns.
- Boil 2-3 cups of water. Place the sliced onions in a sieve and place the sieve over the sink. Slowly pour the boiling water over top of the onions and let them drain.
- Add the onions to the jar. Stir gently to evenly distribute the flavorings.
- The onions will be ready in about 30 minutes, but are better after a few hours. Place in the fridge for up to a week.